Today was the coldest day of the year (it was 6° Fahrenheit a few hours ago. WHAT!?) so I'm enjoying the early signs of Spring where I can find them......
Artichokes are exciting me more than ever..
They may seem intimidating, but actually, nothing could be easier to prepare than my favorite steamed artichoke recipe:
- Prepare the artichokes for Steaming
- Remove the tough outer leaves, cut off the top third of the artichoke, trim the stem and rub the cut layers with fresh lemon.
- Tip: to prevent your artichokes from browning, keep them in a bowl of lemon water during preparation.
- Steam the artichokes
- Fill a pot with about an inch of water.
- Salt the water (don't exaggerate here!)
- Place your artichokes in the pot, stem-side down.
- Cover the pot, cook for 20 minutes (medium heat.... ish)
- After 20 minutes, use your go-to kitchen knife to check for tenderness.
That's it! I like to eat them one leaf at a time dipped in balsamic glaze along side a hearty loaf of Italian bread.
Buon apetito, and don't worry.... Spring will be here soon!